Introducing an easy DIY Selfie Stick made from the affordable and versatile PVC pipe! This reliable homemade gadget lets you capture stunning photos and videos without breaking the bank. Using a small piece of pipe, this DIY idea also gives you a superb chance to get your garage clutter-free and make something functional with your own hands. So, say goodbye to expensive store-bought options and upgrade to our practical, cost-effective DIY solution that works just as well.
Making your DIY Selfie Stick
- PVC Pipe (2-inch diameter)
- Elastic Bands (from a bike tire tube)
- Super Glue
- Bike Tire Tube
- Long Screws
- Precision Cutter or Saw
- Heating Tool (like a Hairdryer for softening PVC)
- Heavy Flat Object (for flattening PVC)
- Ruler/Measuring Tape
Step 1: Getting a PVC Pipe
- Start your project by acquiring a 2-inch PVC pipe. Suitable pipes can often be found in plumbing supply stores or in the plumbing section of your local hardware store.
Step 2: Cutting and Flattening
- Cut the PVC pipe lengthwise from the center. Next, heat the pipe gently and evenly (for example, with a hairdryer) until it softens. Then, flatten the heated piece by placing it under a heavy, flat object, like a weight or a large book.
Step 3: Cutting the Stripes for the Holder
- Measure and cut stripes from the flat PVC sheet. One stripe should be 3 cm wide, which will be used later for the base, and the other should be 1 cm wide, to be used for the walls. It’s important to sand each piece after cutting to remove any sharp edges or burrs.
Step 4: Cutting the Base
- From the 3 cm wide stripe, cut a section that is 5 cm long. This will result in a rectangular piece that is 3 cm wide and 5 cm long. This piece will form the base of the phone holder on your selfie stick.
Step 5: Cutting the Walls
- From the 1 cm wide stripe, cut two sections that are each 5 cm long. These will be used to form the walls of the base.
Step 6: Making a Box
- Use super glue to join the base and the walls, leaving one side open. As the glue sets, make sure the pieces are properly aligned and firmly pressed against each other.
Step 7: Cutting Other Squares
- Cut another piece from your PVC sheet, this time making it a square that is 3.5 cm on each side. You also need to make 4 pieces of 2.5 cm squares.
Step 8: Attaching the Squares
- Stack and glue together four small 2.5 cm squares. Attach this stack to the 3.5 cm square from the previous step, resulting in a layered structure that can slide and lock in place.
Step 9: Adding a Stripe for Bands
- On the base of the phone holder, attach a small stripe for the plastic. This piece will be used to secure the elastic bands.
Step 10: Cutting the Elastic Bands
- Use elastic bands from a bike tire tube. Cut long stripes from it; these will be used to hold the phone securely in your selfie stick holder.
Step 11: Attaching the Stripes to the Base
- Use super glue to affix one end of each elastic band to the base of your phone holder.
Step 12: Attaching the Elastic Bands to the Puller
- Attach the other ends of the elastic bands to the layered structure or ‘puller’ made earlier. They should be secured so that the bands can stretch and retract.
Step 13: Making the Side Walls
- Cut additional pieces of the flattened PVC to create side walls for the holder. This will prevent your phone from slipping out of the holder.
Step 14: Attaching the Side Walls
- Glue these side walls to the base and on the side of the overlapping squares. Make sure it is stable and robust enough to hold the phone securely.
Step 15: Attaching the Puller
- Cut two small half circles with holes in the middle. Attach them to the sliding structure. This will make it easier to pull and adjust the holder size according to your phone size.
Step 16: Cushioning with the Tire Tube
- Cut the tire tube into small pieces and attach them to the inside of the phone holder to provide cushioning. This will help to hold your phone securely and prevent it from scratches.
Step 17: Attaching the Holder to the PVC Handle
Finally, use long screws to attach your newly made phone holder to the 2-inch PVC pipe handle. Ensure you align it properly and attach it firmly.
Congratulations, you now have a DIY selfie stick!